Monday

Dressing Like a Cartoon



My college friend Diana did this thing (intentionally) for several weeks at school where she wore the same outfit everyday (gray eighties sweatshirt and navy blue shorts). Honestly, I'm not sure if she actually wore THE same outfit everyday or if she owned multiples of these items, but she never smelled bad and looked great so I didn't ask.

At first I was so UN-interested because getting dressed in the morning is like, THE most fun creative activity. But then she made the point that not only was it easy, it was cartoon-ish. Every cartoon character has a uniform that defines them (Charlie Brown, Sheera, Doug). So Diana was sort of like, experimenting with cartoonism, which was totally bizarre but I came to the conclusion that it was THE GREATEST IDEA.

These pictures on Garance Dore are the inspiration for my future cartoon uniform: Canadian tuxedo, in EVERY POSSIBLE COLOR.


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea: like being your own avatar. I used to have my own very loose version, where I only wore variations on one shape, and every item in my wardrobe was some combination of red and black (eventually this Jonathan Raban piece on Sarah Palin sort of ruined it for me: "...she redecorated the mayor’s office at a reported cost of $50,000 salvaged from the highways budget; its new red flock wallpaper matched her bold, rouge-et-noir taste in personal outfits.").

    Have you seen this? A lovely take on a similar idea, for a good cause.

    (So excited to find your blog, MK! It's great.)

    Love from London x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alice! Totally digging the Uniform project link- thanks a mil!!

    MK

    ReplyDelete